Arts and Crafts - Surrey Style

In the later 19th century this beautiful corner of west Surrey was home to an extraordinary collection of artists and writers.

Gertrude Jekyll’s garden at Munstead, and her articles and books, were challenging established ideas about planting and garden design. With Edwin Lutyens, a young architect from Thursley, she had created Munstead Wood, a house described as ‘a revelation of unimagined beauty and charm’, which set Lutyens off on a career which would encompass classic country houses, New Delhi and the Cenotaph. In Compton, George Frederic and Mary Watts had established the art gallery and the Potters Art Guild, and built the remarkable Watts Memorial Chapel. In Witley, Miles Birket Foster was one of a community of well-known artists, which included Helen Allingham, Kate Greenaway, Arthur Melville and Graham Walford Robertson.

Many of these artists were part of the Arts and Crafts Movement. They shared a belief in traditional craftsmanship and in the well-being brought to the individual and to society by good design and by engagement in creative work. This was a reaction to the effect of industrial methods on the people who produce, market and use artefacts and the poor quality of much of the decoration that was applied to them. The focus of the Arts and Crafts Movement was on one craftsman designing all aspects of a building or smaller artefact. For many this led logically to a commitment to wider social change. National figures associated with the Arts and Crafts Movement included Augustus Pugin, John Ruskin, William Morris and Charles Rennie Macintosh, 

The Gothic Revival styles of Architecture and decoration, which started in the 1740s and grew in the mid-19th century through the work of designers such as Augustus Pugin, had also seen a number of cottages built with Gothic features (e.g. Gothic Cottage in Milford and .... in Shalford). The increase in church building and refurbishment and high-church sentiment during the mid- and late-19th century gave ample opportunity for the movement to flourish and its application merged naturally with the Arts and Crafts ethos when that emerged (see Hascombe Church, below).

Finally, in this part of Surrey there were many older houses that were built in a style that was sympathetic with the local landscape. However, because of the influx of wealthy people caused by improved communications in the late 19th century, these older properties were being extended and altered, sometimes in conflicting styles. This led to a study of the older architecture and the best ways to make the alterations without destroying the existing beauty. Architects such as Ralph Nevill, author of Old Cottages and Domestic Architecture in South West Surrey (1889), promoted an understanding of the practices needed to make those changes and developed what was to become 'The Surrey Style' that could be applied to alterations and to new properties. Characteristic elements are long roofs, dormers and tall ornamental chimneys. These were combined with Arts and Crafts detailing.





Gertrude Jekyll wrote of her love for ‘this country with its great tracts of wood and heathland, beautiful wild ground and soil of bright yellow sand and rock. In the Arts and Crafts Gallery of the museum you can enjoy the work of artists inspired by this landscape and by the principles of the Arts and Crafts Movement. In the garden of the Museum you can see Gertrude Jekyll and Sir Edwin Lutyens’s ideas in practice.

These are some of the buildings and features that you can see locally (click the images for more detail):


- Hascombe Fountain - ? - 1877

Hascombe Church refurbishment - Henry Woodyer - 1883-6

Watts Memorial Chapel, Down Lane, Compton - Mary Seton Watts - 1896-8

Busbridge Church windows - Burne Jones/Morris & Co - c1898

Busbridge Church screen- Sir Edwin Lutyens - 1899

Prior's Field School - Charles Voysey - 1900

St Christopher's Church, Weyhill, Haslemere - Charles Spooner - 1903

Ladywell Convent (was Tuesley Court), Ashstead Lane, Godalming - ?1910

Phillips Memorial - Hugh Thackeray Turner - 1914



Other local examples of Arts and Crafts buildings and features include:


- Afton Cottages, Church Road, Milford - Sir Edwin Lutyens - 1898

- Amesbury School, Hazel Grove, Hindhead - Sir Edwin Lutyens - 1903

- Barrow Hills School, Mare Hill, Witley - Herbert Tudor Buckland and Edward Haywood-Farmer - 1909

- Brook Farm, Petworth Road, Brook - ? - ?1910

- Brook Grange, Petworth Road, Brook - ? - ?1910

- Bryony Hill, Malthouse Lane, Hambledon - R D McDonald - 1891

- Busbridge Hall - ? - 1906

- Chinthurst Hill Lodge, Chinthurst Lane, Wonersh - Sir Edwin Lutyens - 1893-5

- Chinthurst Hill, Chinthurst Lane, Wonersh - Sir Edwin Lutyens - 1893-5

- Crossways Cottages, Petworth Road, Brook - ? - ?1910

- Dormers (was Munstead Place Lodge), Heath Lane, Godalming - Sir Edwin Lutyens - 1891-2

- Fulbrook House, Fulbrook Lane, Elstead - Sir Edwin Lutyens - 1896-9 (Godalming Museuhas extensive documentation on this building)

- Hascombe Court* - J D Coleridge - 1906-7

- High Leybourne - ? - 1902

- Lake Cottages, French Lane, Thursley - ? - 1906

- Liberal Club, South Street, Farnham - Sir Edwin Lutyens - 1895

- Little Leat, Lane End, Hambledon - Sir Edwin Lutyens - c1899

- Little Munstead, Munstead Heath Road, Godalming - Sir Edwin Lutyens - 1896-8

- Milford Church, Church Road, Milford, windows - Burne Jones for Morris & Co - ?1898

- Milford Village Hall, Portsmouth Road, Milford - Mackay Hugh Baillie Scott - 1925

- Millhanger, Portsmouth Road, Thursley - Harold Faulkner - 1907

- Millmead, Snowdenham Lane, Bramley Sir Edwin Lutyens1 - 1904-7

- Munstead Lodge, Brighton Road, Godalming - Sir Edwin Lutyens - 1899

- Munstead Place, Heath Lane - Sir Edwin Lutyens - 1891-2

- Munstead Wood, Heath Lane, Godalming - Sir Edwin Lutyens - 1896-7

- Oak Cottages, Withies Lane, Compton - Sir Earnest George - 1895

- Orchard Cottage (was Wood End), Petworth Road, Hambledon - Sir Edwin Lutyens - 1894-7

- Orchards, Munstead Heath Road, Godalming - Sir Edwin Lutyens - 1896-9

- Prospect Cottage, The Street, Thursley - Sir Edwin Lutyen - 1901

- Rake Manor extension- Ralph Nevill - 1882 onwards

- Rake Manor alterations - Sir Edwin Lutyens - 1897

- Rake Manor alteraions - M H Bailie Scott - 1914

- Red House, Frith Hill Road, Godalming - Sir Edwin Lutyens - 1899

- South Sussex Lodge - Dunsfold Road, Hascombe - Sir Edwin Lutyens - 1889

- Sturgis tomb in Watts Memorial Chapel grounds - c1904

- Street House, The Street, Thursley extension - Sir Edwin Lutyens 1896

- The Bathing House, Witley Park - Sir Edwin Lutyens for Paxton Watson - c1890

- The Boathouse, Witley Park  - Sir Edwin Lutyens for Paxton Watson - c1890

- The Corner, Dye House Road, Thursley extension Sir Edwin Kutyens - 1895

- The Hollies and Fir Tree Cottage, Munstead Heath Road - Sir Edwin Lutyens - 1896-8

- The Quadrangle, Heath Lane - Sir Edwin Lutyens 1891 and 1901

- Tigbourne Cottage, Lane End Hambledon - Sir Edwin Lutyens - c1899

- Tigbourne Court, Petworth Road, Hambledon - Sir Edwin Lutyens - 1895-1901

- Timbers, Petworth Road, Witley - ? - c1900

- Upper Birtley, Petworth Road, Brook - ? - ?1910

- Warren Mere, Portsmouth Road, Thursley - Sir Edwin Lutyens- 1896-7

- Watts Gallery, Down Lane, Compton - Christopher Turner - 1903-4

- Watts Memorial Cloister, Down Lane, Compton - Mary Seton Watts - 1911

- Wellhead in Watts Memorial Chapel grounds, Down Lane, Compton - c1900

- Westbrook, Westbrook Road, Godalming - Hugh Thackeray Turner - 1899

- Westwood Court, (was Crooksbury House), Crooksbury Lane, Tilford - Sir Edwin Lutyens - 1890, 1898-99, 1914

- Winkworth Farm, The Street, Hascombe alterations - Sir Edwin Lutyens - c1893

- Witley Park, Lea Coach Road, Witley details - Paxton Watson - 1890-1904


*Garden design by Gertrude Jekyll (Godalming Museum has extensive documentation on her work)



Return to Historic Godalming